Python Worst Practices

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 28 21:08:58 EST 2015

BartC wrote:

> On 28/02/2015 15:33, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
>> It also makes me wonder what idiot decided to use C as the language for
>> the first Python implementation? Or was it written in something else and
>> then ported?
>
> Python was already slow enough even written in C.

Tell that to the IronPython developers.

Of course, benchmarks are very variable, depending on what you wish to do,
and a few things (like exceptions) are very much slower in IronPython:

http://ironpython.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=IP27A1VsCPy27Perf&referringTitle=IronPython%20Performance

but overall, I think it's fair to say that IronPython is about 1.8 times the
speed of CPython.

> With any other implementation language, it would have ground to a halt.

That's laughably inaccurate.

--
Steven