Python Worst Practices

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 10:33:23 EST 2015

On 27/02/2015 21:40, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> Right.  In C and C++, instead of being the first slide, it'd be the first 3
>> or 4.  Between header file conflicts (especially good because the stdlib
>> itself has many multiply-defined symbols, duplicate header files, and
>> contradictory include path patterns)
>
> Yeah, Python has some issues with sys.path and how your local module
> can unexpectedly shadow a stdlib one, but at least the stdlib itself
> doesn't have any conflicts. I should not ever have to do this dance:
>
> #include <somefile.h>
> #undef SOME_SYMBOL
> #include <otherfile.h>
>
> But sadly, I do.
>
> ChrisA

As you typed the above up I wonder how many developers around the world
were battling with the fun and games caused, particularly when writing
cross platform code?

It also makes me wonder what idiot decided to use C as the language for
the first Python implementation? Or was it written in something else and
then ported?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence