Python Worst Practices

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:35:20 EST 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Travis Griggs <travisgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do like Python, and I accept it for what it is, so no one needs to jump forward as a Holy Python See to convert me to the truth. I also know that with most other languages, that first slide wouldn’t need to be one of the prominent “worst practices” slide.

This is the thing about design. We are happy to rant about the
problems in the things we love most... and it doesn't mean we don't
love them. A passing comment in the famous "PHP: a fractal of bad
design" article says: "Side observation: I loooove Python. I will also
happily talk your ear off complaining about it, if you really want me
to."; for myself, I often say that Python is the second-best
programming language in the world, but will still rant about its
problems. And if I ever start building my own programming language, I
would be looking at all the ones I know, and making objective
evaluations of what's good and bad about them. (And then probably
abandoning the project early on, because there are established
languages that are sufficiently close to what I want that it's just
not worth making a new one.)

Know what you hate about the things you love, and know what you love
about the things you hate.

ChrisA