Parallelization of Python on GPU?

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri Feb 27 13:55:44 EST 2015

Am 26.02.15 um 06:53 schrieb John Ladasky:
> Thanks for the various links, Ethan.  I have encountered PyCUDA before, but not the other options.
>
> So far, I'm not seeing code examples which appear to do what I would like, which is simply to farm out one Python process to one GPU core.  The examples all appear to parallelize array operations.  I know, that's the easier way to break up a task.
>
> I may have to bite the bullet and learn how to use this:
>
> http://mklab.iti.gr/project/GPU-LIBSVM

If you can get this to run on your machine, it will surely outperform
any efforts what you can do with a python-CUDA bridge on your own. GPU
programming is hard, and efficient GPU programming is really hard. To
get an impression, this talk shows how some changes to an OpenCL program
can improve the speed by 60x compared to a naive implementation:

http://web.archive.org/web/20101217181349/http://developer.amd.com/zones/OpenCLZone/Events/assets/Optimizations-ImageConvolution1.pdf

	Christian