Python Worst Practices

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Feb 26 15:04:14 EST 2015

On 2015-02-26, alister <alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 23:34:29 +0000, MRAB wrote:

>>> US zip codes get messed up with ints because many have a leading
>>> zero.
>>> I use strings

I should hope so, because US zip codes can also contain a hyphen.

>> Telephone numbers can also start with zero.
>
> unless you are performing maths on it data that is made up of numbers
> (zip code, tel number, house number etc) is still only text & should be
> stored as a string.

And if you _are_ performing maths on postal codes, telephone numbers
and house numbers, something is seriously wrong and it probably
doesn't matter how you represent things.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I am covered with
                                  at               pure vegetable oil and I am