Python Worst Practices

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 25 19:11:24 EST 2015

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> (Flipping the booleans makes no sense to me. When would 0 mean true
> >> and 1 mean false? […])
> >
> > The Unix commands ‘true’ and ‘false’ follow that convention
> > <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_and_false_%28commands%29>.
>
> Yes, but my point is: You shouldn't need to rebind those names (or
> have names "true" and "false" for 0 and 1).

That's not what you asked, though. You asked “When would 0 mean true and
1 mean false?” My answer: in all Unix shell contexts.

> Instead, use "success" and "failure".

You'd better borrow the time machine and tell the creators of Unix. The
meme is already established for decades now.

--
 \       “Firmness in decision is often merely a form of stupidity. It |
  `\        indicates an inability to think the same thing out twice.” |