Python Worst Practices

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 25 18:48:21 EST 2015

> (Flipping the booleans makes no sense to me. When would 0 mean true
> and 1 mean false? Isn't it much more likely that, for instance, 0
> means success and nonzero means error (and maybe there's just one
> error state, so 1 means failure)?)

You've answered your question, I believe. In some contexts – such as
Unix shell – 0 ⇒ success ⇒ true, and non-0 ⇒ failure ⇒ false.

The Unix commands ‘true’ and ‘false’ follow that convention
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_and_false_%28commands%29>.

--
 \       “Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions.” —Henry N. Camp |
Ben Finney