no patch for Python 3.4.2 ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:21:13 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Blaxton
<blaxxton at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:
> I don't see any file named patch* in Python 3.4.2 source file.
> does this mean there is no patch available for this release ?

Not sure what you mean. Are you looking for a single massive patch
which updates your 3.4.1 source code to 3.4.2? Or are you looking for
a patch which updates your binary? The first isn't necessary; you
simply get all the sources for 3.4.2, and that way, you don't have to
worry about exactly _what_ you're upgrading from. The second is
virtually impossible, because we can't know what your binary is. It's
much safer to compile fresh from source.

If you're using a package manager to install Python, try to use the
package manager to upgrade, too. That's the cleanest way to get the
latest - if it's possible. If it isn't, building from source is
usually the best option on Linux; on Windows, you'll probably find
that it's easier to download the .msi installer and use that.

ChrisA