Are threads bad? - was: Future of Pypy?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 12:22:42 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 4:16 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> IIRC the underlying JET engine was replaced by SQL Server years ago. Maybe
> not the best technlogy in the world, but you'd be hard pushed to do worse
> than JET :)

The way I understood it, MS Access could connect to a variety of
database backends (SQL Server, or anything that uses ODBC, or whatever
else), but the only inbuilt engine - and therefore the one that you
get by default if you aren't running some other server - was MS Jet.
If they're incorporating SQL Server into MS Office, that would make it
huge... wait, I'm not sure we could tell the difference. But still,
that'd be a whopping great slab of database engine. It'd be like
Python incorporating PostgreSQL. I've at times said that the Python
stdlib ought to include a Postgres *client* (on par with psycopg2),
but not the full *server* :)

ChrisA