Are threads bad? - was: Future of Pypy?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Feb 24 18:53:55 EST 2015

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:
> So why lock categorically like that? Java has a handy "synchronized"
> keyword that wraps the whole method in "with self.lock". ...
> Unfortunately, that deep locking analysis *is* required at every turn,
> and mistakes *are* bound to happen.

I wonder if synchronized was a mistake in Java.  It confused me a lot
when I tried to use it, but I never had to mess with it that much.  I
can't quite tell what your code is doing (why is it attempting a socket
read with a lock held) and I'd be interested to see what an STM version
would look like.