How to apply python patch for issue9729

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Feb 23 20:23:24 EST 2015

On 2/23/2015 4:09 PM, Sada Shirol wrote:
> ​Hi everyone: Below is the error while I try to connect to Cassandra
> database with SSL-enable Python driver:
> raise NoHostAvailable("Unable to connect to any servers", errors)
> cassandra.cluster.NoHostAvailable: ('Unable to connect to any servers',
> {'IP Address': TypeError("'member_descriptor' object is not callable",)})
> Upon some research found that I need to apply below patch:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue9729
> There are three version for patch, I assume I should apply the latest
> version of the three files - issue9729-3.patch:
> issue9729.patch  Dated: 2010-09-14 06:28
> issue9729-2.patch Dated:2010-09-14 13:06
> issue9729-3.patch Dated:2010-09-14 13:36

You should apply the version actually committed (or something based on
it).  https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/7f99ac53014a/
This may be the same as the -3 patch but might have been tweaked.

> How do I apply a patch to python 2.6.6 on Linux?
> I tried to use the below patch tool
> patch -p1 --dry-run < name.patch
> what should be replace for --dry-run in case of python?
> Below is my OS:
> OS: Linux ------.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 28 21:11:36 UTC 2015 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

You should remove the diff for Misc/NEWS, as it is not in your
installation.  You can also do without the addition to
Lib/test/test_ssl.py, or add it by hand.  If you can bet a generic patch
program to just patch Lib/ssl.py, great.  But you could do this by hand.

However, I second the suggestion to install 2.7, especially if you can
2.7.9, which has this patch, even if you have to download the source and
compile.  2.7 is more compatible with 3.x than 2.6, and 2.7.9 has 100s
of little bug fixes compared to 2.6.6.

--
Terry Jan Reedy