Future of Pypy?

Dave Farrance DaveFarrance at OMiTTHiSyahooANDTHiS.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 09:04:55 EST 2015

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

>Good news  -- it seems to be working fine with PyPy.
>https://travis-ci.org/hugovk/Pillow/builds
>
>for me, not extensively tested, it just seems to be working.
>
>I have several pypy's floating around here, each within its own
>virtualenv.  If you aren't familiar with virtualenv, read all
>about it here:
>http://www.dabapps.com/blog/introduction-to-pip-and-virtualenv-python/

OK, thanks. I had to do a bit of experimenting to find something that
worked.  The "virtualenv" that came with Ubuntu failed in various ways if
used with PyPy.  But after downloading this and that via the PyPy download
webpage, I found that "Squeaky's portable Linux binaries" contained
'virtualenv-pypy' which worked OK, then Pillow installed OK with "pip".

It does seem that the PyPy that you get from the Ubuntu repository (and
presumably as packaged in most Linux distros) is rather limited.  Other
than the core libraries included with the PyPy package itself, all that's
in the repository for PyPy is Tk and an ImageMagick interface and that's
it.  CPython, on the other hand, has more repository packages than I can
count -- hundreds, I think.  So as a non-developer linux-user, I had just
installed Python packages from the repository, rather than using pip, as
would most linux users I would guess.  So that's why I got the impression
that PyPy had almost no library support.