Future of Pypy?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Mon Feb 23 01:13:49 EST 2015

Ryan Stuart <ryan.stuart.85 at gmail.com> writes:
> I think that is a pretty accurate summary. In fact, the article even
> says that. So, just to iterate its point, if you are using
> non-blocking Queues to communicate to these threads, then you just
> have a communicating event loop. Given that Queues work perfectly with
> with processes as well, what is the point of using a thread?

What do you mean about Queues working with processes?  I meant
Queue.Queue.  There is multiprocessing.Queue but that's much less
capable, and it uses cumbersome IPC like pipes or sockets instead of a
lighter weight lock.  Threads can also share read-only data and you can
pass arbitrary objects (such as code callables that you want the other
thread to execute--this is quite useful) through Queue.Queue.  I don't
think you can do that with the multiprocessing module.