Future of Pypy?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 22:25:25 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Ryan Stuart <ryan.stuart.85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many people have written at length about why it's bad. The most recent
> example I have come across is here ->
> https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2014/02/unyielding.html
>
> It's not a specific Python problem. I must be in the limited crowd that
> believes that the GIL is a *feature* of Python. Then again, maybe it isn't
> so limited since the GIL-less python implementations haven't really taken
> off.

The GIL isn't a problem, per se. It's a solution to an underlying
problem (concurrent access to internal data structures) which comes
with its own tradeoffs. Every method of eliminating the GIL is really
an alternate solution to the same underlying problem, with its own
tradeoffs. The GIL has simplicity on its side.

ChrisA