Future of Pypy?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Feb 22 17:13:56 EST 2015

In a message of Sun, 22 Feb 2015 12:14:45 -0800, Paul Rubin writes:
>Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> writes:
>> The GIL isn't going away from PyPy any time real soon, alas.
>
>I thought the GIL's main purpose was to avoid having to lock all the
>CPython refcount updates, so if PyPy has tracing GC, why is there still
>a GIL?  And how is TM going to help with parallelism if the GIL is still
>there?

This requires a long answer.   a very long answer.
More later, I must work this evening.

>> Armin has some pretty cool ideas about what to do about contention,
>> but if you want to hear them, its better if you go post that to
>> pypy-dev at python.org...  Or ask away on the #pypy channel on freenode
>
>It would be nice if he blogged something about them.

You are asking for water to roll up-hill.  If you want the joy of
hearing the cool ideas as Armin has them, you need to hang out on
the irc channel.  Of course, if you are interested in such things
this makes hanging out there worthwhile.

>> But this reminds me that I have to get Lennart Augustsson and Armin
>> Rigo in the same room some time.  Should be fun.
>
>I thought the STM stuff in GHC was done by the Simon's.  Armin should
>certainly have Simon Marlow's book about concurrency and Haskell:

Of course, but if you think that Lennart Augustsson is not familiar
with every aspect of every Haskell compiler on the planet .... well
then I know Lennart better than you do.  And given that Lennart is
a friend, well really a good friend of my lover and a something-better-
than-an-acquaintance with me ---- I should make the effort to get these
two under the same roof (mine, by preference) for the fun of the
experience.

So thank you for giving me this idea ...

Laura