Future of Pypy?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun Feb 22 15:14:45 EST 2015

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> writes:
> The GIL isn't going away from PyPy any time real soon, alas.

I thought the GIL's main purpose was to avoid having to lock all the
CPython refcount updates, so if PyPy has tracing GC, why is there still
a GIL?  And how is TM going to help with parallelism if the GIL is still
there?

> Armin has some pretty cool ideas about what to do about contention,
> but if you want to hear them, its better if you go post that to
> pypy-dev at python.org...  Or ask away on the #pypy channel on freenode

It would be nice if he blogged something about them.

> But this reminds me that I have to get Lennart Augustsson and Armin
> Rigo in the same room some time.  Should be fun.

I thought the STM stuff in GHC was done by the Simon's.  Armin should
certainly have Simon Marlow's book about concurrency and Haskell:

http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000929/index.html