id() and is operator

Gary Herron gherron at digipen.edu
Sun Feb 22 14:16:56 EST 2015

On 02/22/2015 09:53 AM, LJ wrote:
> Hi everyone. Quick question here. Lets suppose if have the following numpy array:
>
> b=np.array([[0]*2]*3)
>
> and then:

> 45855552
> 45857512
> 45855552
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but according to this b[2] and b[0] are the same object. Now,

> False
>

> Any clarification is much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,

In fact, b[0] and b[2] are different objects as can be seen here:
 >>> import numpy as np
 >>> b=np.array([[0]*2]*3)
 >>> b[0]=1 // broadcast into both ints in row 0
 >>> b[1]=2 // ... row 1
 >>> b[2]=3 // ... row 2
 >>> b
array([[1, 1],
        [2, 2],
        [3, 3]])

When you extracted b[0], you got a newly created python/numpy object
(1x2 array of ints) briefly stored at location  45855552 but then
deleted immediately after that use.  A little later, the extraction of
b[2] used the same bit of memory.  The id of a temporarily created value
is meaningless, and apparently misleading.

As a separate issue, each of b, b[0], b[1], and b[2] do *all* refer to
the same underlying array of ints as can be seen here:
 >>> r = b[0]
 >>> r[0] = 123
 >>> b
array([[123,   1],

but the Python/numpy objects that wrap portions of that underlying array
of ints are all distinct.

Gary Herron

--
Dr. Gary Herron