Algorithm for Creating Supersets of Smaller Sets Based on Common Elements

Peter Pearson pkpearson at nowhere.invalid
Sun Feb 22 11:49:31 EST 2015

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:46:26 -0500, TommyVee wrote:
> Start off with sets of elements as follows:
>
> 1. A,B,E,F
> 2. G,H,L,P,Q
> 3. C,D,E,F
> 4. E,X,Z
> 5. L,M,R
> 6. O,M,Y
>
> Note that sets 1, 3 and 4 all have the element 'E' in common, therefore they
> are "related" and form the following superset:
>
> A,B,C,D,E,F,X,Z
>
> Likewise, sets 2 and 5 have the element 'L' in common, then set 5 and 6 have
> element 'M' in common, therefore they form the following superset:
>
> G,H,L,M,O,P,Q,R,Y
>
> I think you get the point.
[snip]

I recommend continuing to work on your statement of the problem until it
is detailed, precise, and complete -- something along the lines of,
"Given a set of sets, return a set of sets having the following
properties: (1)... (2)..."  This approach often brings to light logical
problems in the loosely sketched requirements.  It also produces the
outline of a testing regimen to determine whether an implemented
solution is correct.

--
To email me, substitute nowhere->runbox, invalid->com.