How to design a search engine in Python?

Denis McMahon denismfmcmahon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 00:37:51 EST 2015

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 21:02:34 -0800, subhabangalore wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion. But I was looking for a small tutorial of
> algorithm of the whole engine. I would try to check it build individual
> modules and integrate them. I was getting some in google and youtube,
> but I tried to consult you as I do not know whether they would be fine.
> I am trying your way, let me see how much I go. There are so many search
> algorithms in our popular data structure books, that is not an issue but
> how a search engine is getting done, I am thinking bit on that.

Presumably a search engine is simply a database of keyword -> result,
possibly with some scoring factor.

Calculating scoring factor is going to be fun.

Then of course result pages might have scoring factors too. What about a
search with multiple keywords. Some result pages might match more than
one keyword, so you might add their score for each keyword together to
get the ranking in that enquiry for that page.

But then pages with lots and lots of different keywords might be low
scoring, because searchers are looking for content, not pages of keywords.

Finally, What special, unique feature is your search engine going to have
that makes it better than all the existing ones?

Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon at gmail.com