Accessible tools

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Feb 21 13:29:18 EST 2015

On 2015-02-21 10:21, Bryan Duarte wrote:
> those of us who rely on screen readers to interact with our
> computers have a few things we do, and tend to not do.
[snip]

While my experience has shown most of your items to be true, I'd
contend that

>• Do not, have access to debugging tools.

is mistaken or at least misinformed.  For Python, I use the "pdb"
module all the time, and it's command-line driven.  Combined with a
multi-terminal (whether multiple windows, virtual consoles, or a
tmux/screen session), I can easily bounce back and forth between a
"pdb" debugging session and the source code to make edits.  Just to
check, I fired up the "yasr" terminal screen-reader, launched tmux
(using my quiet config, since it updates information on the screen
like the time on a regular basis, making it chatty), and stepped
through some Python code, checked variables, and walked up/down the
call-stack.  I know most other languages have similar functionality
such as gdb for C code.

-tkc