pypandoc and restructured text

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 08:55:46 EST 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 12:39 AM, alb <al.basili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Wolfgang Maier <wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> []
>> I have pandoc 1.12.2.1 and it recognizes the figure directive just fine
>> (tested with html output so I cannot say anything about LaTeX).
>
> This reminds me that I need to move sooner or later from squeeze to
> wheezy...
>
> Do you know of anyway to install wheezy packages on squeeze? On
> backports there's nothing more than what comes with the squeeze sources.
>
> Thanks a lot for the hint. Maybe I should seriously think about
> upgrading the whole distro. It's just that Gnome3 really sucks to my
> taste and I'm not in the mood to look for another Desktop
> Environment...(maybe I should go back to CDE).

This is a bit off-topic for python-list, being more about Debian than
the language, but trying to install just one Wheezy package on Squeeze
is probably a bad idea; you'll probably find that it's built against a
different version of libc and such, so you'd need to upgrade pretty
much your whole system.

Your two best options are, IMO:

1) Install pandoc from source, which will then build it against your
existing libraries. This may not work (if it depends on a newer
version of something), but it should tell you if that's the case. You
won't disturb your system in any way.

2) Upgrade the entire OS to either Wheezy or Jessie. Personally, I'm
quite happy with Jessie, even though she's not officially stable yet
(and have you _seen_ her? Definitely mentally unstable); but whether
you go Wheezy or Jessie, grab Xfce rather than Gnome 3. The latest
Jessie installers are giving an option on installation as to which
desktop environment(s) to install, but if you do it as an upgrade, you
may want to explicitly uninstall Gnome and install Xfce, either before
or after the upgrade.

Happily using a mix of Debian versions here, but all with Xfce.

ChrisA