'Lite' Databases (Re: sqlite3 and dates)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 01:22:06 EST 2015

In article <54E7B0DA.7060303 at stoneleaf.us>,
 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 02/20/2015 01:17 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
>
> > SQLite always seemed bloated (from the embedded NoSQL point of view) and
> > fragile to me, and the vendor plays an annoying anti-forking trick,
> > which is that the code is released but the developers' test suite is
> > secret and proprietary (can be licensed from them for big bucks).
> Wow, really?  I had just started playing with it, but I don't think I'll
> bother now.

SQLite is one of the most widely-used, best-documented, best-tested, and
well-respected software packages in the world.  It is used all over by
the place on many different platforms.  The code, documentation, and
some of the tests are in the public domain, freely usable and forkable
by all (though I don't know why anyone would want to fork it).  It is
true that part of the test suite is only released free to SQLite
consortium members.  I imagine that is done as an incentive to help
finance the on-going development and maintenance of SQLite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite
https://www.sqlite.org/about.html
https://www.sqlite.org/testing.html
https://www.sqlite.org/copyright.html