'Lite' Databases (Re: sqlite3 and dates)

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Feb 20 16:31:58 EST 2015

On 2015-02-20 13:17, Paul Rubin wrote:
> For stuff like browser bookmarks or other typical embedded database
> purposes, I don't see why SQL or relations are needed.  Berkeley DB
> is a transactional key-value store that's been around for decades
> and is way simpler than SQLite, and there's other things like that
> too.

Well, for Steven's purposes, both fail ungracefully on network
shares.  From my understanding, BDB fails even harder (whereas the
sqlite doesn't so much fail as keep a locked write transaction locked
if it fails at the wrong time, so you have to force an unlock)

And all said, sqlite doesn't add that much overhead compared to the
many other libraries I've used that aren't nearly so well-tested.

-tkc