pypandoc and restructured text

alb al.basili at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:59:08 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to convert restructured text to latex with pandoc and it
seems to me there's something not correctly working.

I have the following text:

.. figure:: picture.png
   :scale: 50 %
   :alt: map to buried treasure

   This is the caption of the figure (a simple paragraph).

   The legend consists of all elements after the caption.  In this
   case, the legend consists of this paragraph and the following
   table:

   +-----------------------+-----------------------+
   | Symbol                | Meaning               |
   +=======================+=======================+
   | .. image:: tent.png   | Campground            |
   +-----------------------+-----------------------+
   | .. image:: waves.png  | Lake                  |
   +-----------------------+-----------------------+
   | .. image:: peak.png   | Mountain              |
   +-----------------------+-----------------------+

which is essentially copied from here:
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#figure

But unfortunately the pypandoc silently ignores everything. The same
happens with pandoc directly.

My installation is the following:
pandoc 1.5.1.1
python 2.6.6
debian squeeze

Any idea why? Should I upgrade somehow beyond what the debian repository
delivers?

Al

p.s.: I understand that this is potentially not related to python and more
related to the package, but there's a chance somebody here already had
the same problem.