What the Pythons docs means by "container" ?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 18 19:05:52 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > […] virtual collections can be infinite.
>
> Hmmm. I'm not sure I believe that. Can you enumerate all of the items
> and see if there actually is an infinite number of them? I'll wait...

A mathematician should know better: you don't need to enumerate to
demonstrate a collection is infinite.

Provided, of course, that the collection is *virtual* — so virtual that
it's not actually implemented on hardware :-)

--
 \        “If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you |
  `\     have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither |