sqlite3 and dates

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Feb 18 18:07:21 EST 2015

rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:

> On 02/18/2015 01:14 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
>> Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de> writes:

>>> I see you're running a lawnmower. Maybe you should switch to a combine
>>> harvester. That'll get you extra features like a reciprocating knife
>>> cutter bar. I was quite surprised that regular lawnmowers don't support
>>> those.
>>
>> Chris has pointed out one flaw in this analogy; I'll address another.
>>
>> A feature like 'ALTER TABLE' is not equivalent to a "reciprocating knife
>> cutter bar". I'm in agreement that it is a pretty basic SQL feature, and
>> it doesn't appear to conflict with the narrow focus that we all agree is
>> appropriate for SQLite.
>
> No, you and Chris are way off base and Johannes is correct.
> He was pointing out that there are many applications that can
> benefit from a database and a full-blown, bells and whistles
> solution like Postgresql is often overkill in that (very common)
> case.  His analogy is quite apt and I wish I'd thought of it.

I'm not seeing that at all. Chris explicitly proceeded his comments with the
condition "if you need more facilities than SQLite3 can offer". Johannes'
analogy ignores that and consequently mocks the very idea that anyone might
need more than a regular lawmower -- even a farmer with a thousand acres of
wheat to be harvested.

Johannes' subsequent posts are more nuanced about Sqlite filling a niche and
not being suitable for everything, but the analogy you're supporting
doesn't. It's an amusing quip, quite funny, but like most quips, lacks
nuance and misrepresents Chris' original position.

Had Chris said, "SQlite? Pah, don't use that, Postgresql is a much better
solution!", the combine harvester analogy would have been much more fair.
But he didn't, so it isn't. But fair or not, it has inspired good
discussion, so there is that in it's favour.

--
Steven