sqlite3 and dates

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 18 15:14:19 EST 2015

Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de> writes:

> On 18.02.2015 08:05, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > But if you need more facilities than SQLite3 can offer, maybe it's
> > time to move up to a full database server, instead of local files.
> > Switching to PostgreSQL will give you all those kinds of features,
> > plus a lot of other things that I would have thought pretty basic -
> > like ALTER TABLE. It was quite a surprise to learn that SQLite3 didn't
> > support that.
>
> I see you're running a lawnmower. Maybe you should switch to a combine
> harvester. That'll get you extra features like a reciprocating knife
> cutter bar. I was quite surprised that regular lawnmowers don't support
> those.

Chris has pointed out one flaw in this analogy; I'll address another.

A feature like ‘ALTER TABLE’ is not equivalent to a “reciprocating knife
cutter bar”. I'm in agreement that it is a pretty basic SQL feature, and
it doesn't appear to conflict with the narrow focus that we all agree is
appropriate for SQLite.

So you're mocking such an expectation as though it's expecting something
wildly niche. I think you're propping up a straw man there; the
expectation is quite simple and its absence from SQLite is astonishing.
Your attempted mockery does not, IMO, hit home.

--
 \          “When we call others dogmatic, what we really object to is |
  `\   their holding dogmas that are different from our own.” —Charles |