sqlite3 and dates

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Wed Feb 18 06:57:36 EST 2015

On 18.02.2015 12:21, Chris Angelico wrote:

> SQLite3 is fine for something that's basically just a more structured
> version of a flat file. You assume that nobody but you has the file
> open, and you manipulate it just the same as if it were a big fat blob
> of JSON, but thanks to SQLite, you don't have to rewrite the whole
> file every time you make a small change. That's fine. But it's the
> wrong tool for any job involving multiple users over a network, and
> quite probably the wrong tool for a lot of other jobs too.

Your assessment that some tools fit certain problems and don't fit
different problems is entirely correct. SQLite does the job that it is
supposed to do and it fills that nieche well.

> It's the
> smallest-end piece of software that can truly be called a database. I
> would consider it to be the wrong database for serious accounting
> work, and that's based on the ranting of a majorly-annoyed accountant
> who had to deal with issues in professional systems that had made
> similar choices in back-end selection.

It probably is the wrong database for serious accounting work, and it's
probably also the wrong database for doing multivariate statistical
analysis on sparse matrices that you store in tables.

You could similarly argue that a hammer is the wrong tool to drive in a
screw and you'd be correct in that assessment. But it's completely
besides the point.

SQLite and Postgres are so vastly different in their setup,
configuration, capabilities and requirements that the original developer
has to have done a MAJOR error in judgement so that a change from one to
the other would not be ill-advised.

> You're welcome to disagree, but since PostgreSQL doesn't cost any
> money and (on Linux at least; can't speak for other platforms) doesn't
> take significant effort to set up, I will continue to recommend it.

I work with Postgres on a professional, day-to-day basis. And while it's
free, it *does* take a significant effort to setup and it *does* take a
significant effort to maintain. Especially in comparison with something
like SQLite that literally has no setup at all.

PostgreSQL is great. It's an incredible database and that it's free is
amazing. But in very few settings will it be a replacement for SQLite.

Cheers,
Johannes

> Zumindest nicht öffentlich!
Kosmologen: Die Geheim-Vorhersage.