What the Pythons docs means by "container" ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 17 19:54:32 EST 2015

On 2/17/2015 4:21 PM, candide wrote:
> Official Python documentation very frequently invokes a mysterious *container* data structure. The PLR manual explains :

I use 'collection' rather than 'container'.

> Some objects contain references to other objects; these are called containers.

A mathematical set has 'members', like a club.  Objects, like people,
can be members of 0 to many clubs.  Containing 'references',  and the
nature of said references is a computer implementation issue.  There are
no 'references' in math.

--
Terry Jan Reedy