Python 2.7.9, 3.4.2 won't verify SSL cert for "verisign.com"

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Feb 17 19:28:50 EST 2015

On 2/17/2015 3:42 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> Possibly this bug?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl/+bug/1014640
>
> Laura

  Probably that bug in OpenSSL.  Some versions of OpenSSL are
known to be broken for cases where there multiple valid certificate
trees.

  Python ships with its own copy of OpenSSL on Windows.  Tests
for "www.verisign.com"

Win7, x64:

   Python 2.7.9 with OpenSSL 1.0.1j 15 Oct 2014. FAIL
   Python 3.4.2 with OpenSSL 1.0.1i 6 Aug 2014.  FAIL
   openssl s_client -OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014   FAIL

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, using distro's versions of Python:

   Python 2.7.6 - test won't run, needs create_default_context
   Python 3.4.0 with OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014.  FAIL
   openssl s_client  OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014   PASS

   That's with the same cert file in all cases.
The OpenSSL version for Python programs comes from
ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION.

   The Linux situation has me puzzled.  On Linux,
Python is supposedly using the system version of OpenSSL.
The versions match.  Why do Python and the command line
client disagree?  Different options passed to OpenSSL
by Python?

   Here's the little test program:

http://www.animats.com/private/sslbug

   Please try that and let me know what happens on
other platforms.  Works with Python 2.7.9 or 3.x.

			John Nagle