Python discussed in Nature

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 03:39:09 EST 2015

Le vendredi 13 février 2015 23:58:58 UTC+1, Sturla Molden a écrit :
> On 12/02/15 15:39, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
> > I write both Py2 and Py3 code, but I keep the two worlds hermetically
> > separated from each other.
>

> In SciPy world we run the same code on Python 2 and Python 3.

========

Yes, until...

>>> print 'abcßxyzé'.upper()
ABC¿XYZÉ

>>> 'abcßxyz'.upper()
'ABCßXYZ'

>>> 'abcßdef'.upper()
'ABCSSDEF'

---

>>> jmUpper('abcßxyz')
'ABCẞXYZ'

Face it 90% of the Python code is not working out of
the box (even "serious applications") making the
apps simply not usable.

Unfortunately, it's not this nice article, written
by a us/ascii user(s), who is (are) not even aware of the
situation, that will "save" the situation.

Terrible to say, but that's the reality.

I was also an "CDC ascii" [*] user. It was 30-35 years
ago. Now I'm testing STIX/XITS fonts with a Tex unicode
engine (and a little bit more).

[*] PASCAL User Manual and Report, Kathleen Jensen,
Niklaus Wirth, SPRINGER-VERLAG.

jmf