Python discussed in Nature

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 13 14:40:10 EST 2015

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 7:12:01 PM UTC-8, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> John Ladasky wrote:
>
> > And I use Unicode in my Python.  In implementing some mathematical models
> > which have variables like delta, gamma, and theta, I decided that I didn't
> > like the line lengths I was getting with such variable names.  I'm using
> > δ, γ, and θ instead.  It works fine, at least on my Ubuntu Linux system
> > (and what scientist doesn't use Linux?).  I also have special mathematical
> > symbols, superscripted numbers, etc. in my program comments.  It's easier
> > to read 2x³ + 3x² than 2*x**3 + 3*x**2.
>

> Oooh! What is your font of choice for this?

Steven, I'm trying to answer your question.  It's proving to be harder than I expected.

The default font that the Geany program editor uses on my Ubuntu system renders everything I've tried.  When I look up that font in Geany's Preferences menu, it is called, simply, "monospace".

However, when I browse through fonts using the Ubuntu (14.04, 64-bit) Font Viewer, I do not find a font with that simple name.  I find several fonts whose name includes "mono" in the string: Liberation Mono, Nimbus Mono, Ubuntu Mono, etc.  All these fonts are listed as alternate choices in Geany's font selection menu.

Any Unicode that I use in my Python also renders nicely in the Ubuntu terminal.    In the Terminal Profile Preferences, the "use the system fixed width font" check box is selected.

So, it would appear that I'm using a font that the OS is selecting for me.  Which font that is, I'm still trying to figure out.