Python discussed in Nature

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Feb 12 22:07:46 EST 2015

Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>>> I write both Py2 and Py3 code, but I keep the two worlds hermetically
>>> separated from each other.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> You don't need to be afraid of the gap.
>
> No problem. When I write Py3, I write Py3. When I write Py2, I write
> Py2. When I write bash, I write bash. When I write C, I write C.

Do you get confused by the difference between talking to Americans and
talking to Britons? The differences between American and British English is
a better analogy for the differences between Python 2 and 3 than the
differences between C and bash.

Especially if you target 2.7 and 3.3+, it is almost trivially easy to write
multi-dialect Python 2 and 3 code in the same code base. The trickiest part
is not a language change at all, but remembering that the names of some
standard library modules have changed.

Nobody here is suggesting that there are no differences between Python 2 and
3, but suggesting that those differences are of the same order of magnitude
as those between bash and C is ridiculous. The common subset of the Python
language is far greater than the differences between the versions.

--
Steven