Odd version scheme

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:58:36 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:45 AM, Gisle Vanem <gvanem at yahoo.no> wrote:
> Looking at Ipython's check (in site-packages\IPython\external\qt.py):
>   if QtCore.PYQT_VERSION_STR < '4.7':
>       raise ImportError("IPython requires PyQt4 >= 4.7, found
> %s"%QtCore.PYQT_VERSION_STR)
>
> So even if '4.10' < '4.7', my '4.10' is newer. What odd version scheme is
> this really? I just edited that line to read:
>  if QtCore.PYQT_VERSION_STR < '4.10':

Looks to me like a fault in comparison format. Normally, you'd expect
that 4.10 follows 4.9 - that is, that the version number is a tuple of
integers - but this is attempting a naive string comparison on it.
Check for an ipython bug tracker and report the matter; that ought to
be fixed.

Bear in mind that your change now means that you're accepting too much
- for instance. '4.6' is not less than '4.10', even though it's
supposed to be rejecting that. Presumably this won't be a problem on
your own system, but for upstream, a more reliable fix will be needed.

ChrisA