Python discussed in Nature

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Feb 12 06:25:20 EST 2015

Fabien <fabien.maussion at gmail.com>:

> ... what a coincidence then that a huge majority of scientists
> (including me) dont care AT ALL about unicode.

You shouldn't, any more than you care about ASCII or 2's-complement
encoding. Things should just work.

> But since scientists are not paid to rewrite old code, the scientific
> world is still stuck to python 2. It's a pitty, given how easy it is
> to write py2/py3 compatible scientific tools.

What's a pity is that Python3 chose to ignore the seamless transition
path. It would have been nice, for example, to have all Python 3 code
explicitly mark its dialect (a .py3 extension, a magic import or
something) and then allow legacy Py2 code and Py3 code coexist the same
way C and C++ can coexist.

Marko