idle feature request

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:48:14 EST 2015

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 7:57:48 AM UTC+5:30, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 2/11/2015 1:00 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> > On 11/02/2015 13:11, Rustom Mody wrote:
> >> Context:
> >> I am using idle for taking python classes.
>
> Teaching or taking?

Teaching -- I would like to mail¹ students the interaction so they can pay
more attention and less bother about taking notes.

> >> Finish the class and run out usually in a hurry and forget to save the
> >> idle interaction window.
>
> Do you mean the shell window?

Yeah

> >> Would like to save it so that I can mail it to the students.
>
> Then save it.  What am I not understainding? Your problem scenario is
> not clear to me.  See below for a possible description that I do understand.
>
> >> In emacs I could set a hook to make arbitrary 'buffers' like the
> >> python-idle
> >> shell become 'saving-buffers' like typical file buffers.
> >> ie in emacs like most other editors, a modified file is ask-to-save
>
> That is true in Idle as well.
>
> >> The same can be setup for other (non-file) buffers like a python
> >> interaction shell
>
> I have never used emacs so I do not understand your reference thereto.
> In Windows, the interactive console history cannot be saved except by
> awkwardly selecting and cutting.  Idle does allow the shell contents to
> be saved.
>

> >> Can I do the same for idle.
>
> "Same what?" is the question.
>
> > If there isn't an enhancement request on the bug tracker for this please
> > raise one, that way this doesn't get lost.
>
> Let us clarify the request here first.
>
> If one saves the shell with 'save as', the filename is added to the
> title bar.  If one does something more, the name in bracketed with *s to
> indicate the the memory buffer has been changed since it was last saved.
>   This is the same as regular edit windows.
>
> However, when one quits, then, unlike a regular edit window, there is no
> ask-to-save warning.  Is this what you want?  This would seem reasonable
> and likely easy.  (I would, however, not want the prompt when the buffer
> has not been saved -- or this could be a configuration option.)

Yeah thats what I want.
In a file-window there is 'ask-to-save' as soon as a single character is typed.
I want similar for shell window.
As I said if there is a config option for that, thats best.
But if I have to put in a few lines in my own idle that's fine too².

[BTW I have some other feature requests too. Is this the best forum to talk of them? And thanks for your work on idle :-) ]

¹ I just discovered that mail is passe and they would prefer whatsapp!
Well whatever :-)
² I have a class tomorrow! (but I'll try to remember)!!