Wildly OT: pop-up virtual keyboard for Mac or Linux?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:09:35 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Tim Chase
<python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2015-02-10 19:37, Ned Deily wrote:
>> On OS X, the system provides both a "Character Viewer" (which
>> allows the selection of any Unicode character
>
> Windows also provides charmap.exe which provides similar
> functionality, though last I checked it, it still had the feel of a
> Win3.1 app (usability was atrocious)

Back in the Win3.1 days, you could make a character map program that
was reasonably compact - it had to offer you just 256 characters (and
maybe allow you to choose a code page). Now, it's a lot broader than
that... but on the flip side, I can make a single program that
manipulates a single text document that contains text in all of the
world's languages, so it's well worth it. And while I have never
actually used _all_ the world's languages at once, I have at least
gone as far as a couple dozen.

ChrisA