Wildly OT: pop-up virtual keyboard for Mac or Linux?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:40:54 EST 2015

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 5:52:49 PM UTC+5:30, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 9:50:15 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:

> > > Alas, that does not appear to work in Debian squeeze:
> > >
> > > steve at runes:~$ setxkbmap -query
> > > Error!   Option "-query" not recognized
> > >
> > > Or Centos.
> > >
> > > What are you using?
> >
> > Works for me on Debian Wheezy. Either it's a version difference (I
> > don't have any Squeeze machines any more, we're all on Wheezy or
> > Jessie), or there's some additional package that I have installed
> > here.
> >
> > Mind you, I have no idea what I'm looking at.
> >
> > rosuav at sikorsky:~$ setxkbmap -query
> > rules:      evdev
> > model:      pc105
> > layout:     us
> >
> > I guess that means I have a 105-key PC keyboard in en_US layout, but
> > what 'evdev' means I would have to go manpage digging to find out.
> >
> > ChrisA
>
> Small request (especially if you have an older X):
>
> Can someone try out:
>
> $ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr" -option "grp:ralt_rshift_toggle"
>
> Earlier that used to work as a *toggle* ie a RAlt-RShift chord would go to gr(eek)
> and another would come back to 'us'.
>
> Now it seems (on my box) that it goes to gr(eek) BUT NOT BACK.
>
> NOTE: that this means one has effectively a broken keyboard...
>
> Until you do something like:
>
> $ setxkbmap -layout "us" -option
>
> Getting the first from the second should of course work if shell history -- ie
> up-arrow -- and backspace work.

Just checked that
$ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr"  -option "grp:caps_toggle,grp_led:caps"

will convert CapsLock into a 'GreekLock' ie after a CapsLock
abcdefg produces αβψδεφγ
ABCDEFG produces ΑΒΨΔΕΦΓ (ie use Shift as usual but after capslock)

and
1. the CapsLock led helpfully indicates the state
2. It toggles back!!

If someone can make the RAlt-RShift chord work like capslock please let me know