What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 7 18:54:33 EST 2015

In article <mailman.17939.1421895565.18130.python-list at python.org>,
Chris Angelico  <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> If someone's unfazed by the "it'll take you years before you can
>>> actually write a saleable game" consideration,
>>
>> Wanting to write games is a completely different topic than wanting to
>> sell them.  It's just like any other creative outlet.  Most people who
>> teach themselves to juggle do it because juggling is fun, not because
>> they want to join the circus.
>
>True, but even a playable game is a long way beyond a first-day
>programmer. (By "playable" I mean something that someone other than
>its author would play and enjoy.) It's fine as a goal, but needs to be
>viewed with a perspective of "that's where I'm trying to get to", not
>"now I'm going to start writing games".

Not to mention that mostly a game is understood, not as something like
chess, but an FPS (first person shooter) game.
But that is real time programming, one league beyond beginners
procedural (sequential) or functional programming.
The result is either a disappointment or the illusion of having created
something while in fact one used a frame work where all the hard work
has been done.

>ChrisA

Groetjes Albert
albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst