Ghost vulnerability

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Feb 3 06:19:20 EST 2015

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/80210/ghost-bug-is-there-a-simple-way-to-test-if-my-system-is-secure

>> shows a python 1-liner to check
>
> Does that check actually work for anyone? That code didn't segfalt on my
> vulnerable Debian system but it did on my router which isn't (since the
> router doesn't use glibc). Oh and of course I can't comment on
> stinkexchange since I don't have whatever mana points they require...

Here's the one-liner:

python -c 'import socket;y="0"*50000000;socket.gethostbyname(y)'

I think it is likely that y="0"*50000000 would segfault due to lack of
memory on many machines. I wouldn't trust this as a test.

--
Steven