Downloading videos (in flash applications) using python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:12:53 EST 2015

On 02/02/2015 04:21 PM, Gabriel Ferreira wrote:
> The problem is that this particular website uses a flash player
> application do broadcast the live images of the urban areas. I'm not
> too familiar with Flash Applications. I don't know how to deal with
> them using Python. I was wondering if someone could help me solve
> this problem. The goal is recording & downloading those videos, from
> the mentioned website. And, yes, it has to be an automated program
> (no manual work).

As I said before you need to look into the RTP protocol.  There are
utilities for proxying and dumping the stream parameters.  Once they are
known you can pull them in using rtmpdump.  Sometimes the stream
parameters can be determined from the web page.  get_iplayer, for
instance, can create rtp parameters for BBC programs and then stream
them with rtmpdump, since the parameters seem to be well defined and
consistent.  But every streaming site is going to be different.  I
posted the link to the rtmpdump utilities in my other post.  You may be
to drive rtmpdump from Python.