pydoc3.5 borks on my Mac

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:31:55 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you. I always thought these Unicode encodings were supposed to
> be case-insensitive.

I'd have thought so, too. Try the other variations: include the hyphen
but don't capitalize, and the other way around. On my system, all four
work equally:

rosuav at sikorsky:~$ echo $LANG
en_AU.UTF-8
rosuav at sikorsky:~$ LANG=en_AU.utf8 python3.5 -c 'import locale;
print(locale.getpreferredencoding(False))'
UTF-8
rosuav at sikorsky:~$ LANG=en_AU.utf-8 python3.5 -c 'import locale;
print(locale.getpreferredencoding(False))'
UTF-8
rosuav at sikorsky:~$ LANG=en_AU.UTF8 python3.5 -c 'import locale;
print(locale.getpreferredencoding(False))'
UTF-8
rosuav at sikorsky:~$ LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 python3.5 -c 'import locale;
print(locale.getpreferredencoding(False))'
UTF-8

However, and very interestingly, en_US does not:

rosuav at sikorsky:~$ LANG=en_US.UTF-8 python3.5 -c 'import locale;
print(locale.getpreferredencoding(False))'
ANSI_X3.4-1968

Which is probably because I don't have US locales installed. Maybe
there's something about exactly what's installed??

ChrisA