[OT] fortran lib which provide python like data type

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Feb 1 13:57:22 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:

> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
>> The natural language has a rigorous grammar plus a lexicon that includes
>> a number of idioms. Nobody has so far been able to codify a natural
>> language completely because the rigorous grammar consists of maybe
>> 10,000 rules.
>
> If nobody has codified the rigorous grammar, how do they know it is
> rigorous?

Even a five-year-old will immediately spot grammar mistakes (and let you
know about them!).

> Given how natural languages are constantly in flux (in both space and time),
> I don't even know how you could define all the rules of a grammar
> rigorously. By the time you finished, it would be different.

Every brain has a slightly different variant, and that is evolving, too.
However, you can spot a non-native speaker (or a speaker outside your
community) in a fraction of a second after they open their mouth.

> If grammar is defined by usage, not formal rule books (which don't
> exist!), then surely LOLspeak is grammatical. (It's probably closer to
> an argot than a full language, but even so.)

Whatever it is, your brain will recognize its native language. You never
make a grammar mistake that you don't spot yourself right away.

Marko