raise None

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 31 15:18:21 EST 2015

Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> writes:

> Exactly. The critical technique is looking at the traceback and
> splitting it between what's your code and what's someone else's.
> Hopefully you don't need to look at steves_library.py to figure out
> what you did wrong. However if you do need to look at Steve's code
> you're now stumped because he's hidden the actual line that raises.

+1.

As best I can tell, Steven is advocating a way to obscure information
from the traceback, on the assumption the writer of a library knows that
I don't want to see it.

Given how very often such decisions make my debugging tasks needlessly
difficult, I'm not seeing how that's a desirable feature.

--
 \       “Firmness in decision is often merely a form of stupidity. It |
  `\        indicates an inability to think the same thing out twice.” |