raise None

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 10:53:15 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> If the user
>> can see the stack trace and work back to the point where they passed
>> something in to your function then how does the extra level hurt?
>
> It hurts precisely because it is one extra level. I acknowledge that it is
> *only* one extra level. (I told you this was a marginal benefit.)
>
> If one extra level is okay, might two extra be okay? How about three? What
> about thirty? Where would you draw the line?

It becomes something to get used to when you work with a particular
library. Several of my students have run into this with matplotlib or
sklearn; you make a mistake with a parameter to function X, which just
takes that as-is and passes it to function Y, which does some
manipulation but doesn't trip the error, and then calls through to
function Z, which notices that one parameter doesn't match another,
and raises an exception. You get used to scrolling way up to find the
actual cause of the error.

Whether that supports or contradicts your point, I'm not sure.

ChrisA