how to get names of attributes

Charles T. Smith cts.private.yahoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 06:51:19 EST 2015

Hi,

How can I get *all* the names of an object's attributes?  I have legacy
code with mixed new style classes and old style classes and I need to
write methods which deal with both.  That's the immediate problem, but
I'm always running into the need to understand how objects are linked, in
particular when in pdb.  The answers one always sees on StackOverflow is
that you don't need to understand, understanding is not the pythonic way
to do things.

Alternatively, is there are map documented somewhere - more complete than
python/python-2.7.3-docs-html/library/stdtypes.html?
highlight=class#special-attributes

Or, is the code available uncompiled somewhere on my machine?

Does anyone know *why* the __members__ method was deprecated, to be
replaced by dir(), which doesn't tell the truth (if only it took an
optional parameter to say: "be truthful")

cts