Cannot get the value from dogpile.cache from different modules.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 12:14:19 EST 2015

On 29/12/2015 15:20, xeon Mailinglist wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 11:16:10 AM UTC, xeon Mailinglist wrote:
>> 1. How do I create a global variable that can be accessed by all classes?
>>
>> 2. I am using `dogpile.cache` to store data in the cache [1], but if I set and get the same key from different modules, I don't get the value. Here is an example in [2]. The value than I get is `NO_VALUE.NO_VALUE`. Why this happens?
>>
>> setter is the setter.py
>> getter is the getter.py
>> Memoize is the file in [1].
>>

>> [1] my dogpile class `Memoize.py`
>>
>>      from dogpile.cache import make_region
>>
>>      region = make_region().configure('dogpile.cache.memory')
>>
>>      def save(key, value):
>>        """
>>        general purpose method to save data (value) in the cache
>>
>>        :param key (string) key of the value to be saved in cache
>>        :param value (any type) the value to be saved
>>        """
>>        region.set(key, value)
>>

>>      def get(key):
>>        """
>>        general purpose method to get data from the cache
>>
>>        :param key (string) key of the data to be fetched
>>        :return value (any type) data to be returned from the cache
>>        """
>>        return region.get(key)
>>

>> [2] My python example
>>
>> `setter.py`
>>
>>      def myset(value):
>>        Memoize.save("myvalue", value)
>>
>> `getter.py`
>>
>>     def myget():
>>        return Memoize.get("myvalue") <- this value is NO_VALUE. NO_VALUE
>>
>> My class:
>>
>>      setter.myset(123)
>>      getter.myget()
>
> The idea that I get from dogpile, is that in each module (getter.py, or setter.py) there is a dictionary where the values are stored in the backend. Hence, getter.py has its dictionary and setter.py has its dictionary also. In the end, there is not a single dictionary where all the values should be put. And I want a single dictionary.

Then put everything in one file.  Three files for the amount of code you
show above is nonsensical.  You might like to read
http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html and in response to
that http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/java-is-not-python-either.html

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence