EOFError: marshal data too short -- causes?

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Dec 29 01:50:55 EST 2015

Here's a sanatized stack trace off my web server:

   File ".../cgihelpers.py", line 10, in
     import cgitb
   File ".../py34/lib/python3.4/cgitb.py", line 24, in
     import inspect
   File ".../py34/lib/python3.4/inspect.py", line 54, in
     from dis import COMPILER_FLAG_NAMES as _flag_names
   File "", line 2237, in _find_and_load
   File "", line 2226, in _find_and_load_unlocked
   File "", line 1200, in _load_unlocked
   File "", line 1129, in _exec
   File "", line 1467, in exec_module
   File "", line 1570, in get_code
   File "", line 656, in _compile_bytecode
EOFError: marshal data too short

It worked this morning, and does this now.  I hadn't changed anything.

The only reference I find on Google seems to be related to
out-of-disk-space, so I cleaned up some files, but I'm not sure of how
the web server mounts things; df didn't show particularly high usage in
any of the disks it reported on.

The files I cleaned up are ever-growing log files that I need to clean
up now and then manually, but cleaning them up didn't help... and df
wasn't complaining anyway. So maybe out-of-disk-space is a red herring,
or only one cause of this symptom.

When I log in to the web server with Putty, I can run Python at the
command prompt, and "import dis" suffices to reproduce the problem.

Are there other causes of this symptom than out-of-disk-space?  If it is
out-of-disk-space, how could one determine which disk?

Maybe if not really out of space, it is a bad permission, disallowing
creation of a temporary file?  But how could one determine which
temporary file, and where it would be written?