Python and multiple user access via super cool fancy website

oneman at onemanifest.net oneman at onemanifest.net
Fri Dec 25 05:17:52 EST 2015

> On 25 December 2015 at 05:02, Aaron Christensen
> <aaron.christensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Thank you for your response and information.  I enjoy doing Python on my
>> free time so when I get closer to some kind of web application, then I can
>> provide more information.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction so far.  I will replace any
>> shelve usage with the database.  I also started looking at WSGI servers and
>> just found a great deal of information on fullstackpython.com.
>
> Full Stack Python is a good resource, which teaches many things
> considered best practices in the Python web world (I personally
> recommend uWSGI instead of Gunicorn, but that’s mainly just my
> preference)
>
>> I have some experience in PHP (which is why I mentioned it).  I am
>> unfamiliar with Django, Flask, or Pyramid.  I am looking into Django, but am
>> a little hesitant because of all the time I spent learning PHP.
>
> I’m sorry, but you wasted your time. PHP is an awful language with
> multiple problems and bad design decisions. Here’s some laughing
> stock:
>
> http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
> http://reddit.com/r/lolphp
> http://phpsadness.com/
>
> On the other hand, Python web frameworks are really fun and easy to
> learn, even though their general design is a bit different from PHP’s:
>
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/intro/tutorial01/
> http://tutorial.djangogirls.org/en/

If you want to get a good overview of what it means to use a python web framework, try Miguel Grinberg’s great flask tutorial [1]. It’s based on flask, a more lightweight web framework compared to django, but the basic principles are the same. He covers about anything you need to know in easy to follow lessons. Only basic python knowledge is required.

[1] http://blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/the-flask-mega-tutorial-part-i-hello-world

my 2 cts,

oneman