need some basic help

Andrew Farrell armorsmith42 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:58:40 EST 2015

This code snippet is a method on a class. What is a method? This chapter of
the book Think Python
<http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/thinkpython018.html> does a
good job of explaining it.
Without understanding this foundation, it isn't possible to really answer
your question, so definitely read at least that chapter.
Think Python was the book I first learned from and if you are new to
python, I recommend it among the other python tutorials to consider.

In this case, this method takes two things:
0) The object that it is a method of (by python convention, this is called
"self")
1) a collection of message objects (probably a list, maybe a tuple,
probably not a set)
2) a time
It then, goes through all of them and tells each one "you were received at
some particular time." by calling a method on each of the message objects.
The object that it is a method of seems to have a list of messages it has
received. So, this method sticks the collection of new message objects onto
the list of already-received messages.